- 4 hardboiled eggs, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves (15 ml)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (30 ml)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (10 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (a pinch)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (a pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
- 1 raw egg
Recipe Tip: To hard boil the eggs, completely cover the eggs with cold water in a deep pot and bring the water to a boil. As soon as the water begins to boil, turn off the heat and put a lid on the pot. Let the eggs sit for 12 minutes, then drain. Put the eggs in a bowl of cold water to cool down before peeling.
Preheat oven to 325 ºF (163 ºC).
In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the onion and sauté until soft.
In a large bowl combine the onion with the ground meat, sage, thyme, fennel seeds, nutmeg, allspice, black pepper, salt and raw egg. Mix well with your hands.
Separate the meat into 4 even portions. Roll each portion into a ball then flatten the meat into a large thin patty. Set a hardboiled egg in the middle and fold the meat over the egg and shape it with your hands until the egg is completely hidden. The meat should be shaped like a tiny oval meatloaf.
Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.