- 2 heads of cauliflower, cut into small chunks (bottom stem and leaves trimmed off)
- 4 to 6 pieces of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 small yellow onion or large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced thinly (340 g)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (120 ml)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, butter, finely chopped fresh herbs (optional toppings)
In small batches, put the cauliflower chunks into a food processor. Process until the cauliflower has the consistency of rice. Set aside.
Cook the bacon in a wide pot or skillet over medium-high heat. After a few minutes add the onion/shallot, celery and garlic. If the bacon hasn’t released enough fat, add a little bit of olive oil or butter to the pot.
Sauté for 3 minutes then add the mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes more. Again, if the pot seems dry, add more olive oil or butter. Season the mushrooms lightly with salt and pepper.
Add 8 cups of cauliflower rice. If you have slightly less than 8 cups, don’t worry about it. If you have more, reserve the extra for another meal.
Add the chicken stock. Put a lid on the pot and cook the cauliflower for 5 to 7 minutes until tender but not completely mushy.
Before serving, flavor the risotto with generous amounts of one or more of the following: grated cheese, butter, fresh herbs